Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dear Family and friends,

It sounds like it was a pretty fun week going out to BYU. I'm a little sad that I missed out on all the fun, but we had a pretty good week here, too.

Because of Tropical Storm Fay the Saturday sessions of conference were cancelled, so they just had the Sunday morning session. It was really good. Elder Johnson gave an amazing talk and told the Stake that there is only one thing wrong--there aren't enough members. He told them they all need to go out and invite their friends to learn more. It was so good! Of course, President Summerhays loved what he said. After conference we talked with President and Sister Summerhays a little bit. The ward had a meet and greet to get to know people. We saw some people that we'll be working with in the ward which was really good. After that, the institute director invited us over for dinner that night with his family. It felt like I was back at home, only he has young kids. We even played a couple rounds of scum. Because school started this week. we worked extra hard to find people to teach. Everyday they had lunch at the institute, which was really nice for us because we didn't have to walk all the way home. Wednesday was Zone Conference. It was amazing as always. I'll write more about it later. But, we set specific goals of how many new investigators we were going to find on Thursday, so we spent Thursday doing lots of finding. We met our goal and finally have some people to teach. Friday, they have a little forum at the institute and President Summerhays spoke, so we spent our lunch there and then went to the Rondald McDonald House. We had dinner with the Institute people because one of the elders is going homme next week. It was good. Then today was p-day.

So, Zone Conference. I love Zone Conference, and I am going to dread the day when I don't get to go to them anymore. President Summerhays is a great mission president, and I know that I needed to come when he was here. We had a pretty interesting interview. He does them throughout the day so I meet with him before anything started. We had a good talk, and then he told me he wanted to talk with me after, as well. He said he didn't know what was going to happen with transfers next week, but he did know that I am going to stay here. After zone conference, we talked again. It was really good. I feel so much better about the direction that things are headed here. I was really feeling like this was the worst place ever, but now I know that it is going to become an amazing area. He told me a little bit more about transfers and why he didn't know what was exactly happening. He wants this work to move forward more than it has in the 8 previous years, and he has found that changing our culture to one of excellence will move the work forward. He said that he wants me to train, but if neither of the new sisters coming out are a suitable match then I might be getting Sister Hancock, who I was going to train in Geneva. He, of course, said that he didn't know so we'll find out next week what happens. We had a really good talk about Andalusia and why I got to go to such an amazing place for my first area. He had to go do a baptismal interview there yesterday, and I tried really hard to talk him into letting me go along with him and Sister Summerhays, but it didn't work out. He did tell me that I won't end my mission here on campus. Sister Summerhays and I had a really good talk, too. If I'm not training this next transfer, then I get to spend the whole day with Sister Summerhays. I would absolutely love it if I got to spend all day with her. It is a secret wish of all the sisters to get to do that. We'll see if it happens.

So, I forgot last week to write about my dermatologist appointment. It was fine. He said I have excema and gave me a prescription. I had to pay for the visit with my personal credit card because they said they didn't accept the missionary insurance. Sister Summerhays said that they (the insurance) are going to reimburse me for it. So, just so that you don't think I made a hundred dollar purchase on my credit card, that is what happened. The prescription seems to be working. I go back in two months for a check up.

I can't believe that you got to meet Devri! I haven't heard from her for a while, but I knew things were fine with her. She was a good companion and trainer. BYU is such a small world. It sounds like everything else was fun, too. Can we do all of those things when we go out in April? I can't believe Janet is now a real BYU student. One day this week, one of the elders asked if I had a sister at BYU and I said no, but then I remembered that Janet is there! My little sister is all grown up!

Thanks for getting that stuff for me. I'm excited to see all the fun pictures that you took during the week while you were having all sorts of fun. I got a letter from Sarah this week and it was really good. Sas, there is a letter in the mail for you. Keep working hard.

Well, I better go. I can't think of too much else to write. I love you!

Love, Joanna

No comments: