Monday, September 8, 2008

Dear Family,
Well, we are having p-day on Monday as you can tell. It has been a really interesting week since I last wrote to you. I'll try and get everything in this email.

Can you believe that on Friday I will have been out a year? It is so strange to think about that!

Last Sunday we had a really good lesson with Colleen, a friend of several members. It was amazing. She is ready for the gospel. We ended up setting a baptismal date yesterday when we taught her the second time. Monday, President Smmerhays called us to tell us about transfers. When I last wrote, I didn't know what was going to happen, but he told me that I would be training! My new companion's name is Sister Stowers. I'll write more about her later. President also told me about Andalusia. He went and did a baptismal interview for a family that got baptized on the 30th. I loved hearing all about it. He even went and saw Donnie and Melissa. Tuesday was pretty non-eventful. Wednesday was transfer day. Transfers take place at the other chapel in town (which is right next door to the mission home). So, we went there and I met Sister Stowers. She had gotten sick in the MTC, so she had a doctor's appointment that morning. Sister Summerhays decided that she would just take us to the appointment and then drop us off. So, we got to spend a few hours at the mission home relaxing :) At transfers I also found out that Sister Leafa would be coming here for her last week. Because they only have one flight a week to Samoa, she got to extend a week. Then we spent a few hours with Sister Summerhays that afternoon as we ran some errands. We had a lesson that afternoon, and then we waited for Sister Leafa to get here. Sister Stowers took a nap to help her feel better. Then we had another lesson. Thursday was a normal day. Friday we met a girl on campus who came up to us and wanted to know what we believed. It was a good conversation and we will be teaching her again this week. Then we went and did service at the Ronald McDonald House. I was going to send pictures, but I didn't bring my camera cord. I'll send some next week. We also spent some time talking to people on campus. It was a good day. Saturday was the first FSU game. We worked like a normal proselyting day. It was alright. Most people were really into the game, but we did have a little success. Sunday was good. Colleen came to church again. So, it was a good week.

Sister Leafa goes home tomorrow. It is kind of sad to see her go. It has been great having her here. But, it will be good to just have Sister Stowers and I. We need to focus on her training. She has a brain tumor and has had several surgeries and treatments to remove it, but it hasn't worked. We'll see what happens with everything.

Well, I have a little more time than I thought I would have. So, I will write a little bit more. Things are going to be interesting this transfer. I think that I am going to get to practice a lot of patience. Sister Stowers really has a great desire to work and be out on a mission. She said that last November she went to the doctor to get her prescription, and he told her that her tumor was back. I don't know if it is going to have an impact on her being here. Sister Summerhays wanted me to call and talk to her, but I haven't gotten to yet. Sister Leafa said that when she was coming here with President Summerhays, he mentioned something about Sister Stowers and her possibly going home. I think it has them both really worried. But, she is a good companion. She is from Draper, UT. There are 6 kids in her family as well, and she is the 4th. There will be three kids in her family on a mission at one time. She went to SLCC to try and take two classes, but decided that school wasn't for her. She had a pretty hard MTC experience, so she is a little unsure of herself. President Summerhays said that she looked "fragile", and I'm afraid I'm going to break her by working hard. You'll understand when I send pictures.

It is strange sending Sister Leafa home. I thought I wouldn't have to send anymore companions home, but she will be the sixth one that I send home. I'm still sick of seeing all my companions leave. Maybe one day I'll eventually get to go home.

Oh, you asked when my release date is. For the time being it is April 2. I'm pretty sure President really wants me to stick around as long as I can. He has told me that I am a really important part of this mission, and I have done a lot for it. Do you remember when I was set apart, and I was told that I would be a "shining star" in the mission? I somewhat doubted it, but it happened, and I didn't even realize it. All I did was decide that I was going to work hard and allow the Lord to use me and work with me to get His work accomplished. I think that is why President wants to keep me around as long as he can. He knows that I will work.

How did Janet enjoy her first week at BYU? She didn't write to me and tell me herself, so I figured you could tell me Mom. I can't believe that Rachel is old enough to get baptized. That means that Hannah Driggs is also old enough to get baptized. Everyone is growing up too fast. Brother Garr is going to be here October 17th and 18th. I'll probably still be in Tallahassee. I have a return appointment with the dermatologist on the 17th.

I guess that really is it for this week. We need to be going anyway. I love you all!

Oh, we might get a hurricane this weekend. And, i couldn't open that address list you sent last week.
I love y'all!
Joanna

No comments: