Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,
I hope this letter is much appreciated because we walked through wind and rains to get to the library so that we could check our email today. Things with Hurricane Faye are not too bad. I actually thought it was a tropical storm, though. All it is is a lot of wind and rain. The power went off at our dinner appointment last night, so we could only eat the stuff that didn't need to be cooked. It was a little like that Christmas Eve several years ago. It also blinked off for a couple of minutes this morning, during our study, but it came back on. So, my first experience with a tropical storm hasn't been too bad. We weren't really able to work outside yesterday, but we made do with stuff inside and then our service at the Ronald McDonald house in the afternoon.
We are getting ready for the start of school on Monday. We have come up with a plan that will help get the word out early. Most of the other missionaries from the Tallahassee area are going to help us out during the day. The Institute director and the senior couple at the Institute have also been a big help. Other than that we still haven't found anyone to really teach and none of the potential investigators have really made contact with us. So, the work is still slow.
I wish I could go with everyone to the temple. That is one of the things that I really miss. I wish we had a temple so that we could go. Soon enough I'll be able to go again. I got both family letters this week in the mail and also a letter from Grandma, Sarah, and a friend on a mission in California. I was really happy to get some mail. So much has happened in the extended families this summer. I feel like I have missed out on a lot of stuff. Oh well! It happens when you are on a mission.
I do have a couple of things to ask/tell you about. Can I get the recipe for Hot Cross Buns? The senior sister at the Institute was talking about them and said she can't find a recipe for any like the ones her grandma or mom used to make. When she started describing them, it sounded a lot like yours. So, she wanted me to ask you for the recipe.
Also, I was talking to the secretary at the Institute this week. She was asking about Lynn Scoresby and things. I thought maybe I would ask her if she knew Brother Garr. She said that he actually hired her for the job and she got all excited when I told her I knew him. She said that in September or October they are having a Stake CES week and he is coming to be the keynote speaker! I'm excited about it! I hope that I am still here so that I can see him.
We are having Stake Conference this weekend. We are getting a new stake presidency so there are two general authorities coming. We know that one is Elder Kenneth Johnson, who spoke at general conference, but we don't know who the other one is. We only get to go to the Sunday session, though. It will be interesting to see the changes. I haven't been at a stake conference when the stake presidency was changed since I was little. We also have our zone conference this next week.
I finally got a letter from Sarah this week. I really enjoyed it, and am writing her back today. I only need stamps though, and I don't know when I'll be able to get some. Hopefully, some day this week we can at least drop in somewhere so I can get some. We'll also have to find some time to go to the grocery store, too. Those are a few things that do kind of hamper preparation day.
I think that is about it for the week. I'm excited to hear about taking Janet to BYU. Seeing the freshman here and thinking that Janet is going to be one of them is strange. She seems a lot more mature then them. Maybe because she is my sister.
I love you all! Thanks for the letters and support. Liie Sarah said, I know Heavenly Father is blessing you for having us both out at the same time.
Love, Joanna

No comments: