Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hi Family!

It sounds like things are still maintaining their current course at home and with everyone. It is hard to believe that school is about to start again and that I'm almost at my year mark. Time sure has flown by.

I am feeling much better this week. Sister Benfield found out the results of her CT Scan and they still couldn't find anything. So, President Summerhays, along with the missionary department, her parents, and her stake president, decided she needed to go home. She left Wednesday morning really early. Now it is just Sister Wilcox and me. Things have been much better. We have actually gotten to work this week. President Summerhays and I talked this week and he asked me what I could advise him on in regards to the situation here. I was a little shocked to hear it, but I guess that means he trusts that I'll be honest with him.

It has rained a lot this week. It makes it a little difficult because we aren't allowed to proselyte in the buildings on FSU, so when it rains we have to find somewhere dry to sit it out. In fact it is raining today.

The ward is pretty good I guess. It is a student/single ward so people are a little more focused on other things than missionary work. We do have a good ward mission leader, and we have been doing this thing with the members to invite them to invite their friends and other people to things. It is good, and they are pretty responsive to it. Tomorrow we are going to a regular ward sacrament meeting because some of the other elders have an investigator they are giving to us. She is going to be a freshman this year, so she falls into our ward. I am really excited about it. She sounds like she really has a desire to learn and know if it is true. Other than that, our prospects are few as of now. I have faith that we'll find people though.

I have heard about the Olympics. Most of what I have heard is that Michael Phelps is amazing at swimming, Canada has no medals, and the Chinese gymnastics team has some underage competitors. That's about it. I have heard a lot about politics, though. I really don't care much about it, so I usually tune it out.

I did get Shannon's graduation announcement in the mail yesterday. it was my first mail at our new place. The address is the same, but it is Fifield Ln. not Fifield Dr. I was pretty excited to get it. I had remembered a few days earlier that she was going to be graduating. We went to graduation here last Saturday. It was kind of boring, and didn't compare to BYU's graduation. Congratulations Shannon!

School starts here on the 25th. I'm not surprised that it is one of the top party schools. It seems like it would be. The city schools start on Monday. It will be good for it to start. A lot of the people in the ward are gone for the summer. I'm looking forward to when they come back.

I heard about the lean-to on the shed from Uncle Paul a long time ago. Their family wrote me a letter in February, I think, and he told me about it. I'm excited to see the finished project when I get home. At least it will be a nice dry place to keep it. And, I'm sure that everyone else will enjoy carrying in dry fire wood.

I talked to the sisters in Andalusia this week and things are really progressing there. They have 5 baptisms planned for a little later this month. It is so exciting. I also got to talk to one of the members i was really close with. I miss Andalusia, but I know I am supposed to be here and am staying focused on the work here in the Tallahassee 5th Ward.

Well, I guess that is it for today. I feel confident about this next week. We'll have a lot to do.

I love you all! Thank you for your prayers and support!
Love, Joanna

No comments: