Monday, October 29, 2007




Dear Family,


Things here in Andalusia are going great! I think this week I will start with Sunday and work my way back to last Monday. Yesterday we got to have our first Sunday in Primary and Young Women. It was a little rough. We do singing time in primary, which is tough because there are only two kids that really participate and sing. It was fun to sing primary songs again! Young Women was great. We taught about the Theme. The YW President is great. I really like her a lot. Oh, I took the fabulous wedding picture and people loved it. However, they did ask the old question: if Sarah was older than me :) People here are really excited for us to be here. We didn't quite realize that until after Testimony Meeting. After Church we went and had dinner with a member and then we met a less-active family. We don't know why they don't come to Church, but they are pretty set on not coming back. They were really friendly and told us to come back. We can help on their farm.


Saturday, we ventured out to the 'country'. There we learned a sad thing that is tearing this branch apart. There was an old Church built a long while ago which had a cemetery next to it where members used to be buried. About thirty years ago, they built the building we have now in town. The other building just sat in the country. A few years ago (I think about 7), they sold the old building. This caused a huge uproar and division between the people that live out by the old Church whose families did so much to get the Church. Most of the people who live out in that area have just stopped coming to Church because they are upset that it was sold. They are so bitter and can't forgive anyone. The saddest thing is that they still believe and know the Church is true, but because the man who sold it is active and goes to Church every Sunday, they refuse to go. Instead they go to the Baptist Church just up the road from the old Church building. It is like Thomas Marsh and the milk skimmings. How sad that they will give up all the blessings of the gospel and coming to Church just because their feelings were hurt years ago. We also had a great lesson that evening with our investigators about the Atonement. They still haven't come to Church because one is scared about making the decision to join. That is perfectly understandable. She wants to know for herself that this really is the true Church of Jesus Christ. We have a member that goes with us to those teaching appointments. She and her family are great! Friday, we did service serving lunch at an adult center. It was fun. We also went out into town to talk to people. It was your typical missionary day.Thursday we had our appointment fall through. It was disappointing, but it happens. Wednesday, we tried to meet some more less-active members and check up on some referrals. We also had Enrichment meeting and another lesson with our investigators. It was good as always. They are so eager to learn more. Tuesday, we had our district meeting. They are great! We said goodbye to a senior couple who are moving areas. They actually will only be a few miles from us and said they would see if we can get together for Thanksgiving. We also did some more service at a nursing home in Opp and ran into two members from Dothan, AL. One of them gave us two referrals to work on. And that brings us back to Monday. We chilled and then had dinner with a member family and met their neighbor who had a few discussions a while back when there were missionaries here before.


This week we were planning on having a district P-day but unfortunately it fell through. We were a little bummed because we live in the sticks and never get to see any other missionaries. But, we have new missionary orientation tomorrow, so we get to meet with missionaries and with President and Sister Summerhays. We are excited! I love President and Sister Summerhays. They are great! Then we get to have district meeting on Wednesday because three of the four companionships will be at new missionary orientation tomorrow and will be unable to go to the regularly scheduled district meeting. I'm excited. And, Wednesday is Halloween. We have an appointment with our YW president and family. I'm excited. It will be good to be with her.


I'm glad to hear that everything is going well with everyone. I was so excited to know that people are keeping me updated on their blogs. I feel like I am almost up to date on everyone's lives. People here are preparing for the Alabama-Auburn game. I am still deciding what side I want to join. We got a great vocabulary lesson yesterday day. I'm going to write a book so we can all practice when I get home. Be prepared for some good language:) Oh, here are some pictures. They are of the cemetery and the old Church.It is now part of a house. There are some more as well. I can't remember what ones I have sent you, but I hope you enjoy them! Have a great week! I love you all and am grateful for your support!


Love, Joanna

2 comments:

Emily said...

Nice sweater vest!

Ben S said...

I never "chilled" on my mission because I was always engaged in teaching. Wierd.