Monday, June 23, 2008

Hello family and friends,

We are supposed to get our brakes fixed today, and I thought I would have to handwrite this week's letter, but we haven't gotten the authorization to get anything done yet. So, for everyone's enjoyment, here is the weekly email.

We had a really good week. We had so many people at Church yesterday. That is one of the hardest things that we have faced. But, yesterday we had two of our investigators and their families there! I'm hoping that we'll be able to teach all of their families. One family really loved it and the mom said that she would love to come to enrichment meeting this week. She would just have to get the dad to watch the kids.

This week I realized that Satan works in the craziest ways to stop or distract people from learning about the gospel and progressing towards getting baptized. The first instance starts with the desire to get married. Donnie and Melissa said that they wanted to just get married at the court house and even talked about doing it this last Tuesday. It was almost a for sure thing, so when we went to our appointment with them on Wednesday, we asked them if anything exciting had happened the day before. They said no, and Donnie told us that something had come up to stop them from getting married. I was horrified and every reason why started running through my mind. Donnie told us that the probate judge here in town, which is the one they have to see to get married, got arrested for embezzlement and was in jail. So, there was no probate judge. Luckily, there has been a new one appointed, so they can still go see the judge and get married. The second case was a little bit worse. One of our investigators who is making great progress found out last week that their family was going to get evicted this next week. Because of hospitalizations and disabilities which have made it hard to pay rent, they are several months behind and have no way to pay rent. It has been really hard on them. Satan works so hard to stop people from enjoying the blessings of the gospel. It is so frustrating. In 1 Nephi 22:15, it talks about how Satan will be bound and have no more power over us and that will come by our righteousness. It would be so great if that could happen now. It would make missionary work so much easier.

I also, once again this week, was reminded that I have the greatest family in the world. Yesterday we were teaching one of our investigators who has been feeling pretty upset about her family. I was thinking about our family and how everyone talks about how perfect our family is, and I realized that it is pretty good. I was feeling a little discouraged because how can I sympathize with people who come from crappy family situations when mine has been so great? I'm not sure yet, but I'm not going to complain. Seeing how hard it is to raise a righteous family today, I am reassured that it is still possible. Even though we have our moments, it is still possible to raise a righteous family. So, thanks Mom and Dad. Oh, yesterday we also spent a little bit of the afternoon with an elderly relative of some members and played Rummikub. I felt like I was at home playing games on Sunday. And, the good news is--I won three of the games! I would feel worse, but I hear that she is a really competitive player, so I gave her a run for her money.

We are having Zone Conference this week. I'm looking forward to it. Even though we have to leave our apartment before we would normally get up, it is great to receive the strength and training that President Summerhays and our Zone Leaders have for us. It will be great!

Yesterday I spoke in Sacrament meeting again. After Church, we were talking with the branch mission leader and he was surprised to realize that I had been here for over half my mission. And the branch president said that I could probably claim residency and vote and maybe even run for office. WOuldn't that be exciting? I could have filled in for the probate judge while she was still in jail.

Well, it sounds like everything is good at home. I love the picture of Afton. I'm so glad I have a cute niece I can brag about. I hope she knows that I'm her favorite aunt.

Well, I guess that is it. It was a little bit cooler this week and rained, which made me really happy. We'll see what happens this week.

I love you all!

Love, Joanna

1 comment:

Emily said...

It's so cute how deluded missionaries can be. Joanna thinks she Afton's favorite aunt!