Monday, June 16, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,

Well, usually I write to President Summerhays first, but the computer keeps pulling up a reply to to Mom's email. It must mean that I am supposed to write home first today.

Well, Sister Johns joined us on Wednesday. It was really hot when we went down to Florida to pick her up, so I'm glad I'm in Alabama. Not that it is a lot cooler here, but it just seems that it isn't quite as hot. Sis. Johns is from Turlock, California. She has wanted to serve a mission since she was 7. Kind of a different story than me. She is really good. Being able to train has helped me refocus on what I should be doing as a missionary. It isn't that I have forgotten, but there are certain things to focus on more and it has been good to go back to that point. I have decided that I am going to retrain myself. Since it has been nine months, I need a refresher course.

We had a pretty normal week. We have been able to have good lessons with Donnie and Melissa, and they have even talked about how they know they need to get married before anyone can get baptized. I was so shocked when they brought it up themselves. But, it is such a great thing.
Our other investigator, George, finally made it to Church this Sunday! He has been wanting to come for so long, but things have happened to stop him from coming. He loved it and said he would be there every Sunday if he can make it. He is also doing so well with the Word of Wisdom. He has recognized the Lord's help to overcome his smoking.

People keep telling me that there has been flooding and stuff in Wisconsin, but I figured things would be okay at home. No one ever knows where exactly the flooding is taking place, so I figure since we live up on the banks of the river, home is safe. People keep telling us that the end is near. It is interesting to hear their perspective on the end and you can tell those who are a little afraid of what might happen. I love that it is called the great and dreadful day because it will be great for the righteous, but dreadful for the wicked.

I'm glad everything at home is good. I will have to say, though, my mail has finally slacked off to the point of almost being non-existent. I did, however, receive the package in the mail today. It was a nice surprise. I haven't opened it yet though. I don't really know how much longer I'll be in Andalusia. President Summerhays said that he was going to keep me here at least one more transfer so I can see the fruit of the work I've been doing. Everyone has their own idea about what is going to happen with me. One of the elders in my district had been in his area for 9 transfers and everyone thinks that I am going to break his record. I don't think I will. We'll see what happens. President Summerhays said that I would get lots of warning before I would be transferred so that I could help the branch cope with me leaving. I think it would probably be healthy for me to be transferred. It is hard to stay in one area for such a long time and still work with 100% of your effort and heart.

Oh, the letter I received from Sister Young was from the Primary. It was some letters from the primary activity that they had, but they sent me Elder Huckbody's instead of mine. I wonder if we could swap so that I could have mine and he could have his. :)

Well, I love you all! We were a little late getting going with p-day because we had to get our brakes checked and found out they'll have to be replaced. I'm sure the vehicle coordinator will be happy to hear that. I hope you all have a good week!

Love, Joanna

No comments: