Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Dear Family,

It is an extremely beautiful day here in Alabama! It is hard to believe it
is March and the weather is 80 degrees! It is also hard to believe that
next week will be my six month anniversary! We tried to go to the museum
this morning, but it is closed on Mondays! We were disappointed, but we did
take pictures outside. I'll actually send you some real ones this next
week. I know you'll like them :)

Well, here is the update on everyone:

Donnie, Melissa, and Austin did not get baptized this week. We still haven't
set a baptism date with them yet. However, yesterday when Donnie came to
church he told us that he has been talking to Melissa about why she won't
get baptized. Apparently, it has something to do with her mom and grandma
being baptized (I believe in a baptist church) and they have both died. She
is afraid they are in a horrible place and doesn't understand why their
baptism doesn't count. We might be seeing them more than we had planned on
seeing them this week. The McDaniels are possibly having them over for
family home evening this week and we'll be there as well. Donnie, however,
is great! He understands it so well.

Barbara is doing well. Her mom was in the hospital, and when we went and saw
her on Saturday she told us she really wanted to stop smoking. Of course, we
threw our planned lesson on keeping the Sabbath Day holy out the door and
taught her the word of wisdom. She said she would live it, but it would be
hard when her mom came back from the hospital. President Newton said he
would get some people to give her a blessing to help her live it. It would
probably help out.

Betty was a media referral for the Bible and when we got there we told her
we also wanted to give her a Book of Mormon. She told us that she would
start reading the Book of Mormon before she went to bed that night! We
haven't been able to go back because something came up and then she had a
migraine. Hopefully, we can see her this week again. She is a great lady!
She used to work at a nursing home or assisted living facility and she loved
this old man there named Kermit Brown. She kept telling us "I loved me some
Kermit Brown!" She was pretty excited about it.

Jane had met with the missionaries a little bit before when the elders were
here. She wasn't feeling very good either, sut she did say that we could
come back. She said she had a Book of Mormon, but didn't know where it was.
She told us she would look for it before we came back. Then we went off to
tract her next door neighbor. As we were getting ready to go on to the next
house Jane came running out of her house waving the Book of Mormon. She was
so excited that she had found it that she wanted to let us know! That was
fun! It was kind of cold tracting that day, but it felt good. I love cold
weather! I better live somewhere where it snows :)

Tony was completely found through inspiration and the Spirit. We were kind
of stuck with about half an hour before dinner. We prayed to know what to do
and Sister Mickleson said that we should go back to take a Book of Mormon to
a little girl and her family we had met the week before. I think I told you
about Heather last week. Well, we took her a book about Jesus. When we got
there, there were two houses in one building and so we didn't know what door
to knock on. We took our chances and found Tony, Heather's uncle. He seemed
to be sincerely interested. He has read from the Book of Mormon before. He
asked good questions. We are going back this week. Heather lived next door
and Tony said we should teach them. Heather's mom didn't really want to
learn anything, but she was nice. She had a friend who was a member.

I did get the box of contacts and they are the exact ones I wear. Thank you
so much! Thanks for getting the bank stuff taken care of. I can't believe
they were doing that. I thought they had to ask first.

Congrats to Janet on her awesome game! I'm so proud of my little baby
sister! Oh, while I am thinking of it, I'm going to need Sarah's addresses.
Lots of people are sick here. I doesn't make it easy befcause no one wants
us to get sick so they don't want us to come over or go inside when we are
tracting. Luckily, I have missed all the sickness so far. I hope I keep
missing it. We helped a lady in the branch clean this week and her house
reminded me of Grandma Allred's a little bit. She has lived there for 56
years, so it is a pretty old house.

Well, I guess that is all. We just keep working here. I love you all!

Love, Joanna

No comments: