Friday, December 5, 2008

Dear Fam,

Well, transfers were this past week and we are in Destin. It has been an interesting week, but a good one at that. We are actually in a threesome. Sister Hartman from the Panama City Beach area came over to join us because her trainee didn't come from the MTC. She is great! She is an excellent asset to the companionship.

Because of the transfers, we didn't know anything about the area and the library closed at 5:00pm and we didn't know that. So, you get a handwritten letter this week. Our address is:

200 Sandestin Ln.
Apt. 616
Miramar Beach, FL 32550

Destin is pretty ritzy. There is no other area like this in the mission. The lower class neighborhoods look like our neighborhood. Where we live (Sandestin) is pretty much one huge resort. It's crazy! I really like it here. They have a branch that is about to become a ward. They are great! We got to speak this last Sunday in Sacrament Meeting. On Thanksgiving, we played in the Branch Turkey Bowl. We won! Then we had 2 Thanksgiving dinners. They have been so welcoming.

We have Zone Conference again this Friday. Yipee! President Summerhays and I had a pretty interesting conversation as we were driving for transfers. We talked about my future and what I should do with myself when I go home. It was really interesting. He promised me that he would pay for me to spend 3 days and 2 nights in Andalusia (after the mission) because I am not going to be going back while I'm out. He is great!

We had had some really great success while we've been here. Today when we were grocery shopping, we ran into a part-member who is going to be an investigator, a new investigator, and then a contact. And, that was all on p-day! We have spent a fair amount of time lost and wandering around finding people, but sometimes that is what it takes.

The beaches are gorgeous! We haven't gone to them, but we are practically surrounded by them. I'll take lots of pictures for sure. On Christmas, the Branch President and his family take the missionaries to the beach to open their presents.

I feel so much better being here than in Tallahassee. It was a trial being there, but i know that I learned so much being there. Without it, I don't think I would have learned what the Lord needed me to learn for my future. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and it was one of those necessary hard things. But, as always, the Lord blesses us after we go through these trials. And He is always there with us as we are going through all the experiences we face.

I was studying about being well-favored and favored of the Lord. It was pretty interesting to study about. Christ, of course, was the most well-favored and it intrigued me about how He did it. Philipians 2 and Hebrews 5 talk about it. I don't have my notes with me right now, but it was pretty interesting. When we are obedient and righteous, we gain Heavenly Father's favor.

How were things at home last week? Did you enjoy Thanksgiving? How is Dad's job? How is everyone? I've been out of the loop for this week and I guess I'll still be for another week. It lets me be more focused on the work :).

I love you! I am so lucky to have such a great family like you. Because of the Scoresby family, I am who I am and I have learned and developed qualities and characteristics (like hard work and obedience) which are so important. Thanks for teaching me so well. I love you!

I'm sorry this is so random and sloppy. Next week, we should be good to go for emails so I can write a more normal email home.

I hope that all is well! I love you! Love, Joanna

No comments: