Saturday, July 26, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,

This is probably a surprise email since it is coming on Saturday. It has been quite an interesting week to say the least. I know when I wrote last week I told you I was going to Geneva and would be training, but that has all changed. In fact it changed that night. President Summerhays called me and told me that I wouldn't be going to Geneva, but I would be going to Tallahassee instead. It was so crazy Monday. At the time I was glad to not have to go to Geneva and train, but in some ways it would have been really nice to do that. The Sister I would have trained met Nikki at the Distribution Center in Salt Lake, so I'm sure we would have been great friends because of that :) But, I am here in Tallahassee as one of the campus missionaries!

We cover Florida State University, Florida A&M, and Tallahassee Community College. There are three sets of missionaries in the Student/Singles Ward. We are the only Sisters. I am also once again in a trio. I don't know why I can't get out of them. My companions are Sister Benfield from Las Vegas and Sister Wilcox from Provo. I am older than both of them and I have been out longer than both of them as well. They have been serving together two transfers, and Sister Benfield trained Sister Wilcox. It will be interesting to see how things go this next transfer. Sister Benfield has been having some stomach problems/pains that no one can figure out what is wrong.

After leaving Andalusia it is a huge change coming to Tallahassee. I haven't seen so many people, cars, and cement for 10 months-since I flew into Tallahassee last October. It has been a huge shock. The way we do missionary work is also very different. Everything is different here. The one thing that is the same, though, is that I am a missionary, and I get to bring souls to Christ.
There are several good things about being here. It is like we actually get a weekend because our preparation day is on Saturday. That means that I got two preparation days this week. Not many people get that one. Also, President and Sister Summerhays live about 15 minutes away. It just makes me feel more at ease having them so close. They are usually gone a lot of the time, but yesterday Sister Summerhays told me that it is good to be within closer proximity with them. I like that :) But, I got to have Zone Conference for the second time this week! I know I didn't really talk about it on Monday, but it was really good. In my other Zone Conference we role played and talked about how sometimes it takes desperation to receive inspiration. We also had a visit from the Stake President and he shared a message with us. This Zone Conference we had yesterday we role played as well, but then we talked about patterns and how we are developing a pattern for our lives now on our missions. President Summerhays told us that rarely do missionaries change the pattern they have set for themselves after they leave the mission. We also talked about the enabling power of the Atonement, and had the chance to share our testimonies on that. One thing that our mission is doing is embracing a new culture where we remember. We have established a 'title of liberty' for the mission and we talked about that and what it means to us. It was really interesting to see the difference between different areas of the mission.

The thing I like best about Zone Conference is our interviews with President Summerhays. I wish you could meet him. He is great and he really has his heart completely immersed in this work. But, since this was my second interview with him this month, I was extra excited. We talked about the change that happened this week, and why I was here in Tallahassee a little bit. We also talked about going through hard times and facing adversity. Much to my dismay President Summerhays reminded me that we have trials all of our lives. I was hoping once I got home from my mission they would all go away :) But, he said that what I am doing and going through right now will help me in callings and with my children. I know it will, but it is probably going to be unpleasant for a little while. Oh well. Whatever the Lord wants and needs me to do I will do it. After all of this discussion, President Summerhays paused for a moment and then asked about the family. He especially asked if things were good at home. I told him I was pretty sure they were (because they still are right?). Then we talked about what we were. He said that what I was doing would be an honor to the family and you are getting great blessings from it. I hope that you are. He also said that I reflect the goodness of the family and that I have a good heart. It is amazing how the Lord helps him know what to say in interviews. He finished by telling me that I would feel the Lord enfold me in the arms of his love which is the scripture I have on my plaque. The Lord knew that I needed to hear that so I could have the strength and courage to go one with the work, especially here with things being new and very much different (in ALL aspects of the work).

I guess things are pretty slow here. I have yet to meet any of our investigators (or potential investigators), and I don't feel like we have really gotten the chance to work. It is hard going from at least 30 lessons a week to none (or so it seems so far. We have an interfaith discussion that will probably be ineffective this afternoon). But, I know that we can find success. I know I'm going to have to work hard to get it, but it will happen.

I'll write more about campus and the ward and things later. This email is pretty long, so next Saturday I'll write some more. We are moving either this next week or the next. I don't know what the new address is yet, but you can still send me mail at the mission office address. In case you forgot it is 1535 Killearn Center Blvd, St. C-4, Tallahassee, Florida 32309.
I love you all! I hope things are good at home and with everyone.

Love, Joanna

No comments: