Monday, July 14, 2008

Dear Family,

This week hopefully will go better with email than last week. Before I forget, there are several things that I have been meaning to write about, but always forget. Have you met any of the following missionaries in the your mission: Sisters Lee, Kao'nohi, and Morris or Elders Gibbons and Thomas? My companion in Troy was in their district in the MTC. Also, the last YSA newsletter I got from Sister Noble said that Amanda Merrill moved to Antigo (I can't remember), but is she the one that you had invited over to our house a while ago? She was in my freshman ward at BYU and we ate lunch together sometimes. She knew Keely better than me. Do you know any of the areas where Grandpa Allred served on his mission? And, is Garrett in Alabama by now. We were going to kind of a remote part of our area one day this week, and as I was driving I was thinking about how he could be serving in one of the branches that borders Andalusia. How cool would that be?

Now, on to the week. This week we recommited George to be baptized on August 16th. The Branch President came with us, and he gave George a blessing to help him quit his smoking. However, he wasn't there for our appointment on Saturday and didn't come to Church again this week. He says that he still wants to get baptized and we talked about how he needs to prepare for baptism by coming to Church and quiting his smoking. I think their might be some of his friends that are getting to him a little bit.

We also finally set a baptismal date with Brenda. She is getting baptized on the 23 August. At first she was a little hesitant about setting a date, but she did it. Then the next day when we went and saw her, she said for sure she needed to be baptized and join the Church. Her daughter, Zabe, who went to girl's camp this past week, also said that she wanted to be baptized, too! We haven't set a baptismal date with her yet, but we are planning to set one. Zabe loved Girl's Camp and everyone loved her. After seeing the change that came over her from going to Camp and also hearing some stories from members here, I have seen how important it is to invite people to go to Church activities. I'm going to try and do better with that after my mission.

Donnie is preparing for his baptism this Saturday. He and Melissa are getting married on Thursday. When we saw him on Saturday he said that he needed to do this and get it done. I'm glad that he is realizing that he needs to do this. Melissa isn't ready to get baptized. I hope Donnie's example will help her see that she really wants to be baptized as well so they can go to the temple. Everything is set for his baptism. After so many months of preparation and work and prayers it is finally going to happen. I think this is a little bit of how the Lord must feel when one of His children finally realizes the truth of the restored gospel and makes the commitments to be baptized and then go to the temple.

This week we had another good turn out at Church. Donnie was there, as well as Brenda and her two daughters. Randy and his daughter and one son were at Church. Allison was at home with their other son who was sick. It was really good having them there and they all enjoyed it. Seeing the Church full on Sundays is a very exciting thing. If our rate of progress continues we are going to need a larger building soon. I know that is what people here have been waiting for for years.

It sounds like y'all had a good week. I can't believe that we are half-way through July and soon everyone will be going back to school. Yesterday we were visiting this lady and she asked how long I had been here. When I told her, she said "Oh, almost a year." It is hard to believe that after one more transfer I will have been on my mission for a year! And, to think that Andalusia will be where I served for two-thirds of my mission! I don't believe I'll be transferred next week. President Summerhays said he would let me know well in advance before I left Andalusia and he hasn't said anything yet.

Well, I should probably go. We have an early appointment kind of far away this evening. And, we need to clean the car for car checks. I'm not going to miss that at all.

I love you all! Thanks for your prayers and support!
Love, Joanna

No comments: