Monday, April 7, 2008

Dear Family,

We had a pretty good week and it was topped off by a great General Conference. I love the quiet succession that goes on in the leadership of the Church as time goes by and leaders pass away. As I was listening to President Monson speak, I thought back to President Hinckley's birthday when we made the lunch. As they walked through to the ballroom their power that comes from the calling to be a prophet, seer, and revelator was very strong. Even though they are just men who have the same struggles and difficulties we have, the Spirit of their calling I felt that day was also very apparent when President Monson, President Eyring, and President Uchtdorf spoke, as well as the other Apostles. How I love the knowledge I have of the Restoration that makes life so simple and easy to follow Christ! We even had investigators come to some of the sessions. I really enjoyed both Elder Bednar's and Elder Holland's talks. They would be great members to have go with us to teaching appointments!

Last week I told you about Zone Conference and the talk we got by Elder Holland. Here is a little part of it that really struck me hard. President Holland was speaking about how missionaries ask questions like, "Because this is the truth, why aren't people flocking to the baptismal font?", "Why do people not understand?", "Why do they reject us?" Then Elder Holland says,

"[These] are things I have asked. I have thought about this a great deal. I offer this as my personal feeling. It is not Church doctrine, per se, it's just my feeling to you as you prepare to go into the mission field. I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are the Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, He is our Great Eternal Head. Why would we believe, why would we think, that it would ever be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him? In turn, how could we possibly bear an moving, lasting testimony of the Atonement if we have never known or felt anything of such an expereince? As missionaries we are proud to say we are disciples of Churst-and we are. But mark my word. That means you must be prepared to walk some of the path He walked, to feel some of the pain He felt, to at least occasionally sometime suring your mission shed one of the tears of sorrow He shed."

I think this applies to not just missionaries, but all members everywhere. To truly come to know (as well as we can here in this life) what Christ suffered during those last days of His life, we have to bear some of the burden ourselves. This is how we truly can come to know our Savior and know how He can help strengthen us through the amazing grace He offers to us. How grateful I am for that! The Atonement has strengthened me remarkably in my life.

Even though this work can be heart wrenching at times, I love it. I love the people that I am working with and around. I know that even though it is hard and that at times I have to give everything I have to not give up, it is the Lord's work and that through Jesus Christ ALL things can be accomplished, even seeing the Andalusia ward be formed. I am so grateful that I came on my mission!

This week we had a sad experience with one of our investigators. We called her Thursday evening, and she told us that her Mom doesn't want us to come over anymore. Her mom has leukemia and does not have very good health, so she gets stressed when people come over. We suggested having lessons at the Church just across the yard, but she is concerned with leaving her Mom for a long period of time. Her Mom is supposed to go to her brother's for the next couple of weeks, so we are going to find out if that happened for real. Hopefully, we can keep teaching her. She can feel the peace that the restored gospel has to offer her.

I'm glad Sarah got to the MTC all safe and sound and that Janet's soccer is going well.

We are going to putty and paint at a part member's home this week. It will be fun. She grew up in the Church and is so enthusiastic to have the missionaries around. Her brother served a mission several years ago, but she is always asking us about missions and missionary work. We are hoping that we can get her to come with us sometime to a teaching appointment so she can see what it is like. If she didn't get married, she probably would have served a mission. She is great!

We didn't have any really severe weather, just some rain and thunder. The weather is getting warm and the missionary tan is starting to come.

I guess that is all for this week. I love you all! Thank you so much for all of the prayers and support that you give me. I can feel the blessings that are coming from them.

Love, Joanna

No comments: