Monday, April 14, 2008

Dear Family and friends,

This week was good. Here is a brief summary of what has been going on in Andalusia.

Ken was baptized and confirmed this week. It was really good. He originally wanted to be baptized at the beach, but we couldn't do that. So, he decided that it would be fine in a lake. Brother Youmans has a house on one of the lakes so we got it all ready, cleaning for about half the day Wednesday with Sister Youmans. When Saturday rolled around, it was storming so we ended up having it at the Church anyway. Friday night when we talked to Ken making sure everything was fine, he told us that whatever would be fine, "just as long as I get baptized!" His baptism went very well as well. Yesterday in Church they confirmed him and also ordained him to the priesthood in Sacrament Meeting so that he would be able to pass the sacrament. He is such a good kid, and he is ready for the journey through the gospel that life has in store for him. When he was confirmed and ordained, he got two very amazing blessings telling him that he has great things in store. It pretty much said that words can't describe everything that Heavenly Father has in store for him. And, I got to help him come to Christ so he can receive those blessings? WOW!

We have been meeting with a less-active member, Sister McSwain. She moved into our area several years ago, and didn't come to Church. Three years ago her daughter was killed and no conclusion came from the investigation into the case. She turned very bitter against God. Three years later the sister missionaries in Andalusia had a little extra time to kill so they headed out to find her. She wasn't very friendly at first, but Sister Mickelson needed to use the bathroom and we were able to get into her house. She told us she didn't want anything to do with the Church and she was angry at God. We went on our merry way and left her our number if she ever needed anything. A week or two later Sister Mickelson felt the need to go back, so we went. I was scared to death, but Sister Mickelson was right. When we got there she greeted us very friendly. Our visit went well and she said she knew she needed to get her life turned around and so she would let us come and teach her. When we went back the next week, Sister Galinski came and we taught the Restoration. It was one of the most powerful lessons I have taught. Almost everyone was in tears at the end of the lesson. The Spirit was very strong. Sister McSwain told us she knew she needed to get back to living the gospel and coming to Church, this time 100% instead of the "just going because I am supposed" way she had been before. It was a great lesson. Because of her work schedule and our schedule we didn't get to see her for quite a few weeks. This last week we went back. As we pulled up she came out and said she had been having a horrible time. Things just kept going wrong and all these things were falling apart. We taught the first part of the plan of salvation as best as we could, but then we talked with her about her concerns. By the time we left we had been able to get her back positive. She said that our visit was exactly qwhat she needed. We also had talked about making changes in her life. She knew what she needed to be doing and needed to make that change. She told us her one big problem would be letting people in. For so long she had shut people out so that she wouldn't get hurt and by going to Church she would have to let people in. It scared her, but we reassured her that we could ease her into that. I have so much love for Sister McSwain. Even though I was scared to go back the second time, my heart has been opened so much and I feel the greatest love I have for her. She truly is amazing, and I know as she gets her life turned around she will be able to put things in the past behind her. I am excited to see her progress.

I think we were saved by a Baptist preacher this week. It really didn't do much for me except help me know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints it true. And, it gives me a really good mission story.

Donnie is good. So that we can keep teaching him, we are starting to teach out of the Gospel Principles manual and we told him that he can go into Gospel Doctrine class and learn more about the Book of Mormon. When we told him what we were going to do, he was relieved because he thought we were going to ask him to teach Gospel Principles class! What a good investigator! On Saturday, Melissa's brother-in-law was there and he participated in the lesson. We talked about faith in Jesus Christ, which was perfect because we knew that he had had questions about "the Mormons" before and what we believed. Melissa wasn't there. We are hoping that we will be able to have both Donnie and Melissa at the meeting before Stake Conference this weekend with Bishop Edgley.

I have been working to be truly consecrated and dedicated to the work, which has been a task in and of itself, but I have also been working to be more humble. I know that I have a lot of pride, so I have been studying different aspects of humility. Today my Book of Mormon reading placed me in Helaman 3, which contains that great verse that says they did fast and pray oft and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility and firmer and firmer in the faith of Jesus Christ and they were purified and sanctified through yielding their hearts to God. Heavenly Father knew that I needed to read that today (I was supposed to read it yesterday, but instead I read 3 Nephi 18) because I would have more time to study it and let it sink into my heart and mind.

Even though it hasn't been a cake walk, I am so glad I am here. Having Ken's baptism gave me such great joy and hope to carry on the work. I really feel honored to know that I am part of God's work to bring people to Christ and the marvelous blessings that are part of the gospel. I know it is true. I have had so many little experiences so far on my mission to reconfirm the truth to me. I love it!

I did get the curling iron and the family paper. I'm glad I'm not in Brazil going through what Jeff is going through. It makes Andalusia look like paradise. We don't have to worry about bank robberies or the police chasing us. All we have to worry about is making sure our apartment stays bug free and our car is clean and we don't go over miles. It has been a little cooler with the storm that moved Ken's baptism to the Church. I still miss the snow though. And, I don't get my tax rebate? I'm bummed. Now I will be a poor returned missionary when I get home. Oh well. And what is up with everyone getting engaged and married? That is crazy. We have Zone Conference again this week, so next week I'll tell you all about it. We might be going to Target afterwards. That will be nice. We also have Stake Conference and Bishop Edgley will be there. He wants to meet with all the investigators and recent converts before the Sunday Morning session, so that will be good. Hopefully, we can get people there.

I guess that is all. I love you all! Thanks for all of your prayers and the support you give. Oh, to Ben and Shannon, it has been two weeks since you mentioned my birthday package, and there has been no sign of it in the mailbox. Maybe since it is now posted on my blog it will give you more motivation to send it to me :) I hope you all have a good week.

Love, Joanna

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Joanna, in tears? Unbelievable!