Tuesday, February 19, 2008







Hi Family,

This week was exciting! I hope I can share some of that excitement in this weeks email.
Donnie and Melissa are doing very well. President Newton gave us a couple of old sets of scriptures and so we gave one to Donnie. He loves it. Yesterday he read Moses and Joseph Smith-Matthew out loud to Melissa. He told us that when he was reading in Moses he came across a really powerful scripture about repenting and being baptized. Both he and Melissa agreed that it was really powerful. They have come so far in their progress. It makes me so happy. We were a little worried about them getting married before their baptism interview this upcoming weekend. Donnie had told us that Melissa was still a little hesitant, but when we were with them Saturday they were really excited. Melissa even said, "What if we went and got married without telling you?" I think we were all taken aback, but whatever they want to do to be living the law of chastity I am fine with. Seeing them realize the truthfulness and reality of the gospel is great. It helps me appreciate what I have more.

Ken is also doing great. We gave him a set of scriptures as well this past week. He told us he would give them back to us when he bought his own ones from the Distribution Center. We were also talking about people being "blinded by the subtle craftiness of men". Ken definitely recognizes that that is true. He told us that he doesn't understand why people who are miserable don'teven look for or think that turning to God could help them in their lives. They don't make an attempt to even 'try' religion. He also told us he knew the Church is true! We were a little scared because his baptism date was set to be the Saturday of Stake Conference and we wanted to move it up a week. He was perfectly fine with it! We will, however, have to tell him that he can't be baptized in the ocean like he wants to be. I don't think he will have too much of a problem with that.

We have also been working with some of the new investigators that Sister Mickelson and Sister Osburn found while I was in Troy. Some of them are very aware of the Spirit and can definitely recognize the promptings of the Spirit. After leaving all of our teaching appointments I feel so good about everything and everyone here! Now I realize why the mission president was so excited about sending missionaries to Andalusia when I got here. Satan is definitely trying to mess with all our efforts, but is not going to stop us from working. Sunday we had an amazing afternoon of work planned out and had members lined up with us to go and see some of our investigators, but the weather changed our plans dramatically! It didn't make that much of an impact because we were able to have a really productive day yesterday.

This week in our companionship we are working on being happy and enjoying our work. I have noticed the difference between missionaries who are happy and enjoying the work they are doing and those who are not. I have even found that when I am happy even the disappointing things are enjoyable and I'm not miserable. As I read Aubrey's email and looked at the pictures she sent as well, I could see that happiness and joy in her face as well. We were visiting a lady yesterday and she told us that she could see the joy and happiness in our faces.

To answer your questions, yes, please order my contacts. I could really use them as soon as possible :) I do like my music player a lot. If you do get one like it, make sure that you get it in enough time to put as much music on as you can and in an organized fashion, too. I really like it and everyone that has seen it is really impressed with it, too. Speaking of music, Janet, where is mine? I know you have been sick and not at school so you should have had some time to work on it :) Just as long as I get it before I come home.

Here are some pictures:
1. The Church building here in Andalusia. It really is tiny! 2. My birthday with my comps, a week and a half late. 3. WE have some pretty rural parts in our area. We love the dirt road days:) 4. Sister OSburn and I outside the Evergreen City Hall. It isn't in our area, but we got permission to go. Really, Evergreen isn't in any area. It is a highly disputed area. 5. I have a hot dog stand!

Well, I better go. I love you all. Thanks for the letters I got this week. Oh, and do I get to see any pictures from Christmas or anything? I think I was promised Scoresby Scamper Pictures once upon a time. I hope everyone has a good week! Love, Joanna

1 comment:

Emily said...

Joanna must be a good missionary. It looks like she's putting on her obligatory missionary pounds :)