Friday, September 7, 2007

Memphis



Last weekend, we made a trip down to Memphis to spend Labor Day weekend with Ben, Shannon, and Tiger Kitty. I think my tolerance for car trips is quickly declining because it seemed like forever before we finally reached our final destination.


Even though it was long, the drive down was pretty fun. Janet and I played gummy bear football, jammed out to the cool music while trying to block out Mom and Dad's music, and fought over who got to sleep on the console in the middle. We also got to stop at Cahokia, one of the things I remember from all my history classes. It was fun to actually see my college experience paying off in the 'real' world. We also drove past the St. Louis Arch which I didn't remember seeing the last time we were there. After driving late into Thursday night and a quick scenic detour through Memphis, we finally made it to Ben and Shannon's.


Friday we went downtown the Mud Island where they have a model replica of the Mississippi River. We traced the river through the southern United States and got to wade in the river. Once we were back in the car we drove past Graceland. That was good enough for all of us, but Janet and I did reminisce about Uncle Jesse and his love for the King. We enjoyed a good southern barbeque. The food was great, but after working inVeg Prep and smelling barbeque chicken on Wednesdays, I couldn't eat as much as I would have liked. We finished the night off with a visit to the temple.


Saturday we fully invested ourselves in BYU football. Watching the game from a tv sure was different than being in Lavell Edwards Stadium. I'm confident that the Cougars can keep up the winning while I'm gone. That night we took a dip in the Meadows Pool. It was great, especially since the airconditioning went out earlier that day. Shannon, Janet, and I spent several hours talking that night catching up and just have sister bonding time.


Sunday we went to church, where I was as old or older than quite a few of the relief society sisters who had children! I felt just a little uncomfortable, but I managed to survive. The rest of the day followed the Scoresby tradition-games, games, and more games. Karaoke Revolution was the hit of the day.


Monday we drove home. I gave my services by sleeping most of the way home, but was saddened to think that Joleen had to suffer through the Cubs' loss.


It was a great weekend and a good way to end my summer and time at home before I leave for the mission!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

And we're so glad you came! We had a blast (loved staying up late chatting!) and the apartment was so quiet on Monday. (I swear, Ben only acts up like that around you guys :) Anyway- this is a big week for you! We're so excited and promise to write and send some fun packages. :) Enjoy your last few days pre-mish! (And for the record, there is only 1 girl a few months younger than me and you in my rs that has a baby. Everyone else is older, despite some youthful appearances.:)