Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dear Family,
I get to start emailing herein the MTC! Isn't that wonderful? Mom, I sent this to both accounts just in case I got the Charter one wrong. Have you guys already received my letter letter? I hope so. I talked about my companion and getting settled. I won't spend too much time on that. SO,... Things here have been going very well. I was afraid that I would be very miserable, but it hasn't been bad at all! I have really enjoyed the experience I have been having. Classes are great! I have two really good teachers that really know what they are teaching us, and they have really helped us get in the mind set of being missionaries. Sarah, your apartment friend Sam is a teacher in my Zone. He teaches the district that came the week before mine. I have also seen Elizabeth Vernon and Rachel Blackmer, EMily and Preston.
My Branch President here got released on Sunday. Even though I had only known him since Wednesday, I felt that I got to know him very well and wish I could have continued to get to know him and serve under him the whole time I was here. The new Branch President is going to be a very good one. I was called as the Relief Society Coordinating Sister. It is pretty much the Relief Society President for the Branch. I get to make sure the sisters are happy, and that they are following the rules. It is kind of overwhelming to do that AND learn everything I need to learn, but it should be good. Right now, there are only me and my companion. We are getting four more sisters on Wednesday. My district has eight people in it. We are all going to Tallahassee. They are a good group of guys. The Branch presidency has asked Sis. Carpenter and I too look out for them and to not intimidate them. They are a lot of fun, so it has been good being with them. It is kind of strange to be around 19 year old boys all day. They sure act like it, but I have seen that even in the few days we have been here they have grown immensley. Hopefully, I have also grown that much as well.
I have really seen how the Lord has blessed me being here and my willingness to serve a mission. I think that He has made being here at the MTC a great experience so that I know He is happy with my decision to serve. I am grateful that I have come. I have also had some good practice at patience. It is hard to have to always be with a comp who doesn't have the same beliefs about being on time to meetings and keeping focused during study time. I kind of feel out of place because I haven't met anyone here who is a college graduate-especially from BYU. The time that I have had learning how to study somewhat effectively while I was at BYU really shows as I am ready to move on to different things while others are still trying to get through the begninning material. It is hard, but it will help me a lot. We had our temple day and it was good. It is different renting clothes, but we get them for free. I accidently put the dress on backwards. I thought all dresses were supposed to zip in the back, not in the front. The nice lady helped me put it on the right way-dumb zipper in the front.
Here a few things you might find interesting. They provide sheets. There were hangers in the closet. We get to do our laundry for free (unlike the good old dorms). We have an allowance each week of $8.00. The food is BYU food. Yep, the same stuff I made for the last two years! It is free though so I have eaten. I don't think Ihave gained any weight yet. Good. Hopefully I have lost some. I don't think I have gain You get one free haircut and style while you are here, so I guess it was kind of pointless to get my hair cut before I came! Oh well. We only have half an hour to get ready in the morning. That has been a huge adjustment. There really isn't enough time to do everything that you have to do, even if you do stuff the night before. Sisters don't always follow the clothing rules, but so far I haven't had much of a problem. Remember how we were going to make that other skirt? It would be great if I could get that and a jumper. It doesn't have to be while I am here in the MTC, but sometime during the next 18 months it could come in handy. Also, I feel I need more sweater vests. Almost everyone wears them all the time. I have yet to wear one though. And, I think I might invest in some trouser socks instead of knee-his. Wearing nylon fabric on my toes for 15 hours is kind of bothersome, but I can live until I can get some of my own. Thanks for the package, and the letters you have sent. I got them today. I was so excited! I get to do laundry later and then I think I will take a quick nap. I need to get some things ready for the new sisters, and I need to do some letter writing and some studying. Well, my time is almost over. You can email people this email address so they can email me. Also for posting, everything should be fine to post.
Love, Joanna

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ha ha, I think I put the silly temple dress on backwards once too.

Margaret said...

Good thing the little old ladies are always standing around to keep all of us backwards people in line!

Shannon said...

haha, no kidding!